Home » Topic » EchoVox 3.0 – Class A and Class B EVP

EchoVox 3.0 – Class A and Class B EVP

Tagged: 

This topic contains 8 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  GhouledKS 2 years ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

Kym-n-Mark
    Participant

Like GhouledKS, we prefer the EchoVox from the ghost box apps we’ve tried out.

We’ve not gone so far as to buy dedicated hardware that’s a ghost box, but we’ve experimented with a number of Android-based apps for our Samsung Note 10.1 tablet. We discovered the EchoVox v2.0 in October 2014 and later upgraded to v3.0 in December 2014.

It’s supposed to be a phonetic generator, and the 3.0 version contains six banks of sounds (no words), with various ways to randomize and rotate selection from the sound banks, and at varying rates of speed. Sometimes we use the “echo” reverberation option, sometimes not.

We’ve managed to capture a number of Class A EVP. Here’s an example from a former Sisters of Mercy hospital that’s now a hotel (we captured this in a guestroom that used to be the hospital’s operating room):

“Accident … They killed it?”

The 3.0 version of this ghost box has a new feature called “Burst Mode,” which compresses unpredictable bursts of EVP that have to be parsed and slowed down to understand. There’s a burst example at the end of the following clip (a Class B EVP), but the whole clip also shows how interactive the EVP on EchoVox can be:

“I think I’m gonna cheat you” (It may also say, “I think I’m gonna shoot you” — it was a former Wild West frontier town)

Overall, we’re pretty impressed with the EchoVox.

ITC Voices
    Keymaster

Nice captures!

While Echovox is good on it’s own, it can do so much more than what’s shown in the video. Echovox was meant to be used with the echo feature, it allows for communication to build through ambient sound. The sound is a constant loop that allows enough frequencies for not only communication to happen, but for it to happen in full phrases.

You guys are doing really good work and I’m glad you joined this little forum!

Check out this article, it has a video by Danny Roberge, the creator of Echovox. The information is a little dated, it was for version 2.5 I believe, but the concept is still the same.

http://itcvoices.org/itc-software-random-audio-itc-research-tools/

~Tim Woolworth
    ghost box & ITC practitioner, observer and writer

Horatio:
    O day and night, but this is wondrous strange!

Hamlet:
    And therefore as a stranger give it welcome.
    There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio,
    Than are dreamt of in your philosophy.

Hamlet Act 1, scene 5, 159–167

Kym-n-Mark
    Participant

Tim, thanks for pointing us to your review of EchoVox (and other GBs) and to Danny’s vid clip/diagrams. Both were very helpful in giving us a clearer reason why we should *not* be turning off the echo! 🙂 Duh.

Guess we didn’t understand that the audio “mud” we heard was actually modeling clay, and we didn’t trust it to transform into more!

Thanks for the guidance.

GhouledKS
    Participant

My wife used to hate it when I turned the echo on, but she came round when we started to get better responses with the echo. 🙂

I don’t know how many people have this problem, but if you’re an iOS user and find that the echo doesn’t turn on, it helps to delete the cache of recordings. That usually allows us to get the echo back on. Since we use a separate device for recording, dumping the cache doesn’t hurt us… as far as we know. There’s still a part of me that would like to keep hold of the recordings for a side by side comparison.

Other than that issue, the idea of using a feedback loop like this is simply brilliant.

"Oh you foolish Väinämöinen!
    Without dying, while still living,
    Entering the Underworld!"

Kym-n-Mark
    Participant

Thanks, Jedediah, for these further insights into EchoVox’s feedback-loop utility. We’ll definitely be using the echo feature from here on out. We’re also beginning to understand now why there’s a delay feature. Have you experimented with that?

We’re using the Android-based app, which hasn’t yet glitched on us for the echo.

After watching Steve Huff’s review of this GB app, we followed his advice to always record through an external speaker to add one more layer of integrity to EVP recordings. So GB-cached recordings haven’t been an issue for us.

GhouledKS
    Participant

Those are some awesome catches! I really like the clarity of your recordings! Are you using an additional external mic for recording and if so, what are you using? I need to get me one of those. 🙂

I had the opportunity to perform some additional tests with the Echovox at the Wichita Broadview Hotel last night (haven’t really slept much today). I was really surprised to find that the best recordings of the night were the ones with the echo set low. Even more surprising were the hits that showed up during the Echovox sessions, but didn’t come from the Echovox at all.

I guess now that extreme feedback isn’t the catch-all answer.

• This reply was modified 2 years ago by  GhouledKS.

Kym-n-Mark
    Participant

Thanks, GKS.

We use an 808 CANZ Bluetooth Wireless Speaker (about $30 at Walmart!) and record to a separate digital recorder (ours is an Olympus VN-8100PC — middle-of-the-road device but it’s proven very sensitive).

Our EchoVox 3.0 is the Android app for our Samsung 10.1 Note tablet. That combo’s been working well for us. 🙂

We started out with Audacity freeware to extract and clean up our EVP but upgraded to big sister Sound Forge Audio Suite (but found an older version for, again, about $30 — the new one’s got more functions than needed unless you’re into music editing).

We’ve gone back to using the feedback loop but, yes, turned low as well. Higher seems to squelch too much with the external speaker.

We’re interested in your new case. Please keep us informed.

BTW, we captured a great Class R EVP with EchoVox and placed that one on YouTube at our channel: youtube.com/c/KymnMarkTodd and called “St Nich EVP Reversed.” Been meaning to share this in these forums, and will under “EVP.”

Best,
    Kym-n-Mark

GhouledKS
    Participant

Awesome! I definitely wouldn’t knock the VN-8100PC, it’s my stand-by recorder too! 🙂 What I don’t have is one of those cans. I definitely need to get one. I really like the clarity of your recordings!

GhouledKS
    Participant

I’m still working through the recordings but I’ll have the Broadview recordings posted soon on the EVP thread!

• This reply was modified 2 years ago by  GhouledKS.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

SHARE WITH FRIENDS: